Many business owners believe they need a major announcement or big event to get some media coverage.
Not so. In many cases your local paper or business journal has space to run your news item providing its “newsworthy”.
Often a number of small announcements work just as well as one big story to build the company brand and add credibility.
Here are 10 ways to get into the newspaper quickly.
1. Announce a new hire. Many local papers and business journals provide ample space for this. In addition to highlighting a new staff member it demonstrates that your company is growing and moving forward.
2. Host a special event or seminar. Many papers have calendar sections for this purpose.
3. Announce a company award. Newspapers will print your industry or “Best of” recognition.
4. Announce a new contract or new deals with a group of customers. Editors will be interested in learning about your success.
5. Publicize staff appointments to charity boards and non-profits.
6. Document and photograph any donations to charity for publicity purposes both internally and externally.
7. Announce any new company location or expansion of current offices.
8. Promote any Green initiatives your firm may be undertaking. Newspapes are very interested in Green related stories and many organizations now recognize businesses with Green Awards.
9. Write a letter to the editor or a complete commentary. Keep it professional and discuss how an issue will impact the business community.
10. Highlight an employee that does something out of the ordinary. In many markets, you can get generate coverage for a staffer who completes a marathon or serves as a volunteer after-hours with a non-profit.